Kishan Shrikanth finished his 10th Standard at Camlin English School. He wrote to the government requesting to grant permission to directly take up a Masters Program (Master of Arts in Multimedia & Animation) directly after 10th grade at age of 15. It took him a year to convince various authorities and a technical evaluation was conducted to confirm his eligibility to take up the course. He was admitted into the Masters Program at the age of 16 and went on to become the youngest master’s degree earner. He holds an MA in Multimedia.
Care of Footpath
This film involves the story of an orphan slum boy who is adopted by an old lady who finds him on a footpath. She brings him to live with her in the slum. With his friends, he makes a living picking up rags. An encounter with some school students who call him an uneducated brute changes the life of this slum boy. This makes him take up a challenge to get educated. How this boy finds a way to live his dream: going to school to get an education, amidst all odds and evens is the line of the story. Inspired by true life stories of great people like Thomas Alva Edison, Michael Faraday, and India’s former president A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, it is a successful film about the life of a young street boy. The film was originally released in Kannada on 26 November 2006. It successfully ran for more than 100 days in Karnataka.
Shroff commented on him saying that “He is such a genius that I had to work in his film. He is constantly thinking about his next shot, constantly innovating to make it better. He is sure about what he wants from his actors”.
Awards and recognitions
- Golden Lotus National Film Award for Best Children’s Film (Care of Footpath) – 54th National Film Awards
- Best Film Jury Award (Care of Footpath) – Karnataka State Award
- Best Child Actor (Care of Footpath) – Karnataka State Award
- Opening Film – Kids for Kids International Film Festival, Cyprus
- Telephono Azzuro (Children’s Right) – Giffoni International Film Festival, Italy
- Chamber of Deputies Award (the second best film for Care of Footpath) at the Giffoni International Film Festival, Italy
- Children’s Rights Award – The Film and Television Association of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India
- Closing Film – Busan International Film Festival, South Korea
- Official Selection – Chinh India Film Festival, New Delhi, India
- Official Selection – Mumbai Children’s Film Festival
- National Child Award for Exceptional Achievement – Government of India
- International Children’s Jury Prize – Cairo International Film Festival for Children, Egypt
- International Jury Prize (Adult Jury) – Cairo International Film Festival for Children, Egypt
- Special Honorary Award – Alexandria International Film Festival (Journalist Syndicate, Cairo)
- Best Film Children’s Jury Award (Care of Footpath) – 5th International Youth Film Festival (FICI), Spain
- Best Actor Award (Care of Footpath) – 5th International Youth Film Festival (FICI), Spain
- Special Honorary Award – 2nd Emotion Pictures International Festival on Disability-Athens, Greece
- Best Child Actor Silver Elephant Award – 15th Golden Elephant International Children’s Film Festival, India
- Special Honorary Award – South India Cinematographers Association-Chennai, India
- Closing Film – Flicks International Film Festival for Children, Saskatoon, Canada
- Official Selection – 22nd International Festival of Films for Children & Young Adults, (competitive section), Tehran, Iran
- Official Selection – Armenia International Film Festival for the Children, Armenia
- Official Selection & American Premier- SAIFF (South Asian International Film Festival), New York.
- Karnataka Government permits to take Post graduation directly after 10th standard.
- 4th TiE-Aspire Young Achiever Award
Kishan enters The Forbes India 30 Under 30 List, the youngest entrepreneur to be recognised by Forbes.