Zubeen Garg (born Zubeen Borthakur; 18 November 1971) is an Indian playback singer, music director, composer, lyricist, music producer, film director, film producer, actor, and philanthropist. His contributions are mostly attributed in Assamese, Bengali and Bollywood films, and music. Besides, his songs in Assamese, Garg has sung many songs in other languages and dialects, including Bengali, Bishnupriya Manipuri, Bodo, English, Goalparia, Hindi, Kannada, Karbi, Khasi, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Odia, Sanskrit, Telugu, Tiwa. He is also an instrumentalist and plays 12 instruments including dhol, drums, guitar, harmonium, mandolin, keyboard and various percussion instruments.
Garg was born in Tura, Meghalaya to Mohini Borthakur and Ily Borthakur. He was named after the music composer Zubin Mehta. His father Mohini Borthakur is a lyricist and poet under the name Kapil Thakur. Garg pursued a degree in Bachelor of Science but dropped out to concentrate on his singing career. Garg’s younger sister Jonki Borthakur was an actress and singer who died in a car accident in February 2002 in Sonitpur district while they were going to perform stage show along with her co-artists. Garg married Garima Saikia, a fashion designer from Golaghat, India on 4 February 2002.
Garg entered into the professional music when his debut album Anamika was released in 1992. He later released albums including Maya, Asha and Pakhi. In the late 1990s, Garg moved to Mumbai to work in the Bollywood music industry where he recorded few Hindi albums and film songs like Chandni Raat, Yuhi Kabhi, Fiza and Kaante. In 2003 he sung Aane wala pal from the movie Plan, Swapne saare and khwabon ki from the movie Mudda-The Issue, Mango agar dil se toh Khuda from the movie Chupke Se, Holi re from the movie Mumbai Se Aiya Mera Dost and Jo Pyar tumne from the movie Jaal:The trap.
In 2004 he debuted in the Bengali music industry where he sung two songs in the movie Mon. In the same year, he sung three songs in the movie Shudhu Tumi and also was the music director in the film.
In 2005 he sung O bondhure and Lagena Bhalo in the film Premi .In 2008 he got a big break in the movies Mon Mane Na, Love story,Chirodini Tumi je Amar and Golmaal.His songs like Mon mane Na from the movie Mon Mane Na, Piya re Piya re from the movie Chirodini Tumi je Amaar, and Mon jete chay shudhu from the movie Love story became very popular.
He got the biggest break in Bollywood in the film Gangster. The song Ya Ali of Gangster movie was one of the most popular hits of 2006. The song brought him the best playback singer Global Indian Film Awards(GIFA) in 2006. His next Hindi album Zindagi was released in 2007 which was highly appreciated. His discography songs in various Indian languages. In October 2019, he released a new Hindi song Ranjhana with Angel Rai and Sami Khan.
Garg runs a charity that donates money for various causes. He urged people to donate clothes, medicines, and contributions when devastating floods hit Assam. He took on the issue of corruption in APSC recruitment in his movie Kanchanjangha. He is a football fan and has played matches to collect funds for flood-affected people. Garg was the main non-political figure of the Anti-CAA protest in Assam.
- Sajna (Music video) (2019) – Sajna Kyun Ishq Mein
- Bloody Isshq(2016) – Kill Me
- Meeruthiya Gangsters(2015) – Title song
- Hamari Adhuri Kahani(2015) – Yeh Kaisi Jagah
- Mumbai 125 KM (2014) – Tere Bina
- Krrish 3 (2013) – Dil Tu Hi Bataa
- OMG – Oh My God! (2012) – Oh My God
- Raaz 3 (2012) – Kya Raaz Hai
- Dum Maaro Dum (2011) – Jaana Hai
- Aashayein (2010) – Ab Mujhko Jeena
- London Dreams (2009) – Shola Shola
- Yeh Mera India (2008)
- Hello (2008) – Rab Ka Banda
- Bombay To Bangkok (2008) – Dheere Dheere
- Manorama Six Feet Under (2007) – Woh Bheege Pal
- Jhoom Barabar Jhoom (2007) – JBJ
- The Train (2007) – Teri Tamanna
- Good Boy Bad Boy (2007) – Dard-E-Dil
- Kya Love Story Hai(2007) – Jeena Kya Tere Bina
- Big Brother (2007) – Jag Lal Lal Lal Lal II & special appearance in that song
- Life Mein Kabhie Kabhiee (2007) – Hum Khushi Ki Chah Mein
- Namastey London (2007) – Dilruba
- I See You (2006) – Subah Subah
- Bas Ek Pal (2006) – Zindagi Hosh Main
- Pyaar Ke Side Effects (2006) – Jaane Kya Chaahe Maan Baawra
- Gangster (2006) – Ya Ali & special appearance in that song
- Aan: Men at Work (2004) – Jugnu ki Payal
- Kaante (2002) – Rama Re & Socha Nahin Tha
- Fiza (2000) – Mere Watan
- Garv (2004) – Marhaba